SEO - Optimized Metatags
There are two important meta tags:
1. Meta keyword tag
2. Meta description tag
Some search engines may display meta descriptions as part of search results, but meta keyword tags do not appear in search results.
According to most SEO experts, meta tags are dead. Yet, these same experts use metatags on their own sites.
In the case of Google: Adding a description meta tag does not increase your page rank on the search Engine Results Page (SERP), but the description can be used as a description of your SERP list in Google.
In the case of Yahoo: they create a page rank using keyword meta tags. So for Yahoo and any other minor search engine who still use meta keywords we should use appropriate meta keywords.
How to look like a meta tag?
You can add meta tags to the head section of a web page as follows:
- <meta name="keywords" content="About 30 to 40 unique words like keyword-1, keyword-2, keyword-3 etc.">
- <meta name="description" content="Accurate and keyword rich description of about 150 characters">
Meta Keyword Tag Tips
Please refer to the Keyword Optimization section to identify the appropriate keywords. Follow the tips below to create good/appropriate meta keyword tags as well
1. Use synonyms.
2. Use unique keywords.
3. Do not repeat any given phrase.
4. You can repeat a word as many times as you like until it fits perfectly with a different phrase.
Meta Description Tag Tips
Follow these tips to create a good/appropriate meta description tag:
1. Use keywords in your meta description tags.
2. Try not to repeat keywords too many times, but try to form multiple sentences with your keywords.
3. The meta description tag of a single web page should not use more than 150 characters.
4. Use different meta description tags for each page, because each page is different and if you can give it a good title and description, it is more likely to get search results.
Robots Meta Tag
In addition to the above two metatags, you may need another important metatag, the Robots metatag, which looks like the following code:
- <meta name="robots" content=“noindex, nofollow">
Using the metatag above, you can send a message to the search engine spider or robot that you don't want to index some pages.